Types of Gold Wire
How complicated can gold wire be?
- Not all gold wire contains actual gold
- Some gold wire has gold plating on the outside
- Some gold wire has a another metal on the inside
- Some gold wire is solid
Let me explain. We offer several types of "gold" wire.
- Gold Colored Wire
- Gold Colored Wire is copper wire that is plated with fine silver, colored gold, and then coated with a clear enamel. It is the easiest and least expensive way to get gold color in your work. While it is perfectly acceptable for fashion bracelets I do not recommend it for rings or other high wear items.
- 24kt Gold Plated Wire
- 24kt Gold Plated Wire is copper wire plated with a thin layer of 24kt gold. While gold plated wire does give you a rich gold color it will also wear over time. Gold plated wire will tarnish faster than the other options, partially because of the copper leaching through from the inside. I recommend it for fashion pieces rather than 24/7 wear.
- Gold Filled Wire
- Gold Filled Wire is 5% real gold bonded to a brass core. Gold filled wire isn't solid, but it's sometimes so difficult to tell the difference that I have trouble myself. Where gold plating may wear off relatively quickly, gold filled wire will last 30 years. I strongly recommend this option because of the lower price and higher durability.
- Solid Gold Wire
- Solid Gold Wire is exactly that. It is solid gold and very expensive. I offer it on request. If your project needs that extra something, solid gold might be for you.
Shop the story